- Arch Capital Group Ltd. trades its common shares under the “ACGL” ticker on the NASDAQ.
- Robert Clements (right) serves as Arch Capital Group Ltd. Chairman. Peter Appel serves as President and Chief Executive Officer.
- A new underwriting initiative is developed to meet current and future needs in the global insurance and reinsurance marketplace arising from the wreckage of the world trade center attacks.
- $763 million of capital is invested for the new initiative with dual platforms in insurance and reinsurance.
- Paul Ingrey joins to develop reinsurance operations and Constantine (Dinos) Iordanou joins to develop insurance operations.
- Arch raises additional capital of $179.2 million to meet the growth needs of the P&C platforms.
- Dinos Iordanou succeeds Peter Appel as Arch Capital Group Ltd. President and Chief Executive Officer.
- Expansion of Arch’s insurance platform in Europe with the formation of Arch Insurance Company (Europe) Limited (U.K.) in London.
- Demand for property catastrophe reinsurance following the devastating 2005 Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma also led to the development of the largest reinsurance sidecar, Flatiron Re.
- We’ve grown to over 1,000 employees worldwide.
- We form Arch Re Accident & Health ApS, a Danish underwriting agency, to write personal accident and workers compensation catastrophe business.
- We launch our property facultative reinsurance underwriting operations, headquartered in Farmington, Connecticut.
- We acquire assets of Wexford Underwriting Managers Inc. and begin writing excess workers compensation and other employers’ liability insurance.
- Our European reinsurance platform expands through the formation of Dublin-based Arch Reinsurance Europe Underwriting Designated Activity Company (formerly Arch Reinsurance Europe Underwriting Limited).
- Our new Lloyd’s Syndicate 2012 commences underwriting in London.
- Standard & Poor’s rates the financial strength of our operating companies “A+ (Outlook Stable).”
- Our common shareholders’ equity exceeds $4.5 billion at year-end.
- Arch Mortgage Insurance Designated Activity Company (formerly Arch Mortgage Insurance Limited), an Irish-authorized company, opens for business.
- Our investable assets are over $12 billion at year-end.
- We acquire Ariel Reinsurance Company Ltd.’s credit & surety reinsurance operations based in Zurich.
- A.M. Best rates the financial strength of Arch operating companies “A+ (Superior)”.
- We announce our expansion into the U.S. mortgage insurance market through strategic acquisitions.
- Global employees number over 1,400 at year-end.
- Arch Insurance Canada Ltd., a Canada domestic company, commences operations.
- Arch closes on our acquisition of certain assets of PMI Mortgage Insurance Company, CMG Mortgage Insurance Company (now Arch Mortgage Insurance Company) and other companies to broaden our existing mortgage insurance and reinsurance capabilities.
- Watford Re Ltd., a multi-line Bermuda reinsurance company, is launched with $1.133 billion of capital.
- Arch Mortgage Guaranty begins operations.
- Arch further expands into the U.S. mortgage insurance sector with the purchase of United Guaranty, making Arch the world’s largest mortgage insurer.
- Arch and Kelso & Company sponsor the formation of Premia Holdings Ltd.
- Marc Grandisson succeeds Dinos Iordanou as Arch Capital Group Ltd. President and Chief Executive Officer.
- Arch Insurance acquires McNeil and Company, expanding its Managing General Agent capabilities in the U.S.
- Global employees number over 3,600 at year-end.
- Arch Insurance acquires the UK Commercial Lines business of the Ardonagh Group and forms the Arch UK Regional Division.
- The Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) authorizes Arch LMI Pty Ltd as a lenders mortgage insurer. Arch LMI begins primary mortgage operations in Australia.
- Arch releases its first Sustainability Report.
- Global employees number over 4,500 at year-end.
- Arch acquires a 29.5% stake in Coface, a France-based leader in the global trade credit insurance market.
- Arch, along with investment partners Kelso & Co. and Warburg Pincus, acquires Watford Holdings Ltd.
- Arch Reinsurance Ltd. acquires Somerset Bridge Group, augmenting the company’s UK motor coinsurance and reinsurance capacity.
- Arch acquires Westpac Lenders Mortgage Insurance Limited, enhancing Arch’s position as a leading provider of LMI in Australia.