Sustainability & Governance
We use environmental, social and governance (ESG) topics to communicate our sustainability practices to our employees and stakeholders. ESG factors have long-term impact on people and communities.
We believe that corporate responsibility is about doing the right thing for our employees, our clients, our shareholders and our communities. We contribute to the development and growth of our employees, encourage environmental sustainability inside and outside the workplace, and promote corporate citizenship and volunteerism.
Since our founding, Arch employees have helped to weave the concept of generosity and compassion for others into the fabric of our culture. Our people give both their time and their financial resources to charities of all types, and the company promotes corporate citizenship through charitable donations and company-sponsored volunteer activities. Arch is committed to making a positive impact on the communities where our employees live and work.
Diversity and Inclusion
Arch recognizes that bringing together diverse backgrounds and experiences drives idea generation, innovation and better decision making. With over 4,500 employees and offices on four continents, we know that fostering a culture that embraces and leverages diverse perspectives is more than just an aspirational value, it’s a business imperative.
We define diversity as the various traits and characteristics that make people unique — both seen and unseen. Equally important is inclusion, or the behaviors and social norms that make people feel heard, valued and respected.
Our goal is to create an inclusive culture where a variety of diverse opinions are heard and valued through teamwork and collaboration. Only then will we create the best new ideas and innovations; only then will we truly enable possibility.
We believe that the incorporation of material, non-financial factors into investment selection and risk management has the potential to enhance long-term investment returns. We use ESG factors with respect to our directly managed assets and with respect to assets managed for us by third-party managers. We measure our exposure to ESG risks at both individual asset classes and total portfolio levels.
How we pursue ESG Aware policy:
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Adhere to the highest standards of conduct and business practice.
- Integrate consideration of ESG issues into our due diligence and investment decision-making process.
- Measure our exposure to ESG risks in general and to the individual sub factors (Environmental, Social, Governance), ensuring we focus on issues that are specific and material to individual companies.
- Assess and monitor the standards employed by external managers and service providers, and incorporate ESG factors into our annual review of the managers.
- Regularly review and quarterly report to our senior management and the Board, our exposures to ESG factors as part of portfolio oversight and risk management process.
- Where possible, engage with companies in which we are invested to support sustainable long-term business planning.
- Engage with industrywide initiatives to improve consistency of ESG reporting.
- Ensure that all applicable employees are aware of these policies.
We create a workplace culture where all employees are treated with dignity and respect, and individual differences are valued, all with the goal of securing trust, empowerment and satisfaction for our employees.
We maintain the highest standards of corporate governance and ethical conduct. Our Board of Directors oversees the company’s strategic direction and approach to risk management.
In selecting Board members, our Nominating and Governance Committee’s objective is to choose individuals with skills and experience who can best represent our shareholders and assist Arch’s management in operating the business. The company endeavors to maintain a Board representing a diverse spectrum of expertise, background, perspective, race, gender and experience.
Sustainability Report 2020
Sustainability Accounting Standards Board Report
Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures
Our Environmental Policy
We understand the risks that environmental challenges present to people and communities. We take an active role in reducing our environmental impact and look for cost-effective ways to protect and conserve natural resources.
We remain committed to long-term, sustainable approaches to protecting the environment. Some of the steps we have taken include:
- Lease offices in LEED and Energy Star® buildings.
- Promote recycling at our facilities.
- Reduce paper usage by encouraging paperless business dealings and double-sided printing.
- Encourage video conferencing to minimize air travel.
- Design energy efficient office plans with energy efficient equipment and lighting.
- Educate employees about the ways they can reduce their own individual and collective environmental impact.